12 George Washington Quotes to Remember His Birthday
Author: Noel Jameson
Why are George Washington quotes so remarkable? Once in a rare while a great man is born - a man who changes the world for the better and leaves his mark for posterity. George Washington was one of these men and his words are words to live by. As we remember his birthday this month, let these leadership quotes remind us of what's really important.
|12 George Washington Quotes to Remember His Birthday|
2. 'Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.'
3. 'Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.'
4. 'Discipline is the soul of an army. It makes small numbers formidable; procures success to the weak, and esteem to all.'
5. 'Friendship is a plant of slow growth and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity before it is entitled to the appellation.'
6. 'If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.'
7. 'Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.'
8. 'Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire called conscience.'
9. 'It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.'
10. 'The foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing is a vice so mean and low that every person of sense and character detests and despises it.'
11. 'Laws made by common consent must not be trampled on by individuals.'
12. 'Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.'
In today's society, I wonder if George Washington would have been such a popular man. I wonder if today's world would have embraced him so readily. Let these twelve George Washington quotes remind us of where we came from, why we have what we have today and what our Nation truly stands for.
Article Source: http://www.articlesbase.com/politics-articles/12-george-washington-quotes-to-remember-his-birthday-336509.html
About the Author
For more leadership quotes, check out the popular leadership quotes section of Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.