9 Howard Hughes Quotes to Celebrate His December 24th Birthday
If there’s one thing Howard Hughes quotes can convey, it’s that there will never be another man quite like him. It wasn’t just his wealth that made him extraordinary — it was everything about him. Whether you know him for his aviation hobby, his film career or his massive wealth, these nine Howard Hughes quotes will remind you of just how unique the man really was.
1. ‘Play off everyone against each other so that you have more avenues of action open to you.’
2. ‘I intend to be the greatest golfer in the world, the finest film producer in Hollywood, the greatest pilot in the world, and the richest man in the world.’
3. ‘Every man has his price, or a guy like me couldn’t exist.’
4. ‘Once you consent to some concession, you can never cancel it and put things back the way they are.’
5. ‘There are two good reasons why men go to see Jane Russell. Those are enough…’
6. ‘Never make a decision. Let someone else make it and then if it turns out to be the wrong one, you can disclaim it, and if it is the right one you can abide by it.’
7. ‘The human brain is still undergoing rapid adaptive evolution.’
And perhaps it’s not just Howard’s words that give us insight as to how unique he was. Perhaps it\’s words spoken by those who knew him that do him the most justice. While the Howard Hughes quotes above show us a glimpse of the man, the quotes spoken about him show us more…
8. ‘Howard Hughes was able to afford the luxury of madness, like a man who not only thinks he is Napoleon but hires an army to prove it.’ ~ Ted Morgan
9. ‘It is impossible to think of Howard Hughes without seeing the apparently bottomless gulf between what we say we want and what we do want, between what we officially admire and secretly desire, between, in the largest sense, the people we marry and the people we love. In a nation which increasingly appears to prize social virtues, Howard Hughes remains not merely antisocial but grandly, brilliantly, surpassingly, asocial. He is the last private man, the dream we no longer admit.’ ~ Joan Didion
It’s true that there aren’t really many quotes to be found directly from Howard about himself. That’s probably because he was such a private man. As Joan Didion points out — he may very well have been the last private celebrity in America. Let’s use these nine Howard Hughes quotes to get to know him just a little better this month.
About the Author
For more famous quotes, check out the popular Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in ‘Top 10’ lists of quotations in dozens of categories.