7 Beatrix Potter Quotes to Celebrate a Childhood Favorite
Why is now the perfect time for some Beatrix Potter quotes? Because July 28th is the day we celebrate the date of birth of the woman who gave us our beloved childhood friend, Peter Rabbit.
And it’s not just her imagination and wonderful stories that made Beatrix such a treasure. Her life story proves what a strong and unique individual she was. There’s a lot to be said about thwarting the status quo of an uppity upper-crust, high-society family and making it on your own. We’d all have been better for knowing her. Here are seven quotes to commemorate the birth of the creator of our beloved little Peter Rabbit, and a woman who refused to let society’s expectations stand in the way of what was right.
1. ‘Thank goodness I was never sent to school; it would have rubbed off some of the originality.’
2. ‘Thank God I have the seeing eye, that is to say, as I lie in bed I can walk step by step on the fells and rough land seeing every stone and flower and patch of bog and cotton pass where my old legs will never take me again.’
3. ‘Most people, after one success, are so cringingly afraid of doing less well that they rub all the edge off their subsequent work.’
4. ‘I cannot rest, I must draw, however poor the result, and when I have a bad time come over me it is a stronger desire than ever.’
5. ‘Believe there is a great power silently working all things for good, behave yourself and never mind the rest.’
6. ‘I remember I used to half believe and wholly play with fairies when I was a child. What heaven can be more real than to retain the spirit-world of childhood, tempered and balanced by knowledge and common-sense…’
7. ‘Once upon a time there were four little Rabbits, and their names were–Flopsy, Mopsy, Cotton-tail, and Peter.’
Childhood just wouldn’t have been the same without Peter Rabbit and his friends. Thank goodness that Beatrix Potter was a part of our lives. For the part of you that will always yearn for your childhood – that part of you that refuses to let your inner child fade and die – remember Beatrix this year on the anniversary of her birth. These seven Beatrix Potter quotes are a great way to do just that.
About the Author
For more inspirational quotes, check out the popular funny quotes section at Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in ‘Top 10’ lists of quotations in dozens of categories.