15 E.b. White Quotes to Celebrate the July 11th Birthday of Elwyn Brooks White
Author: Noel Jameson
Even if you don’t recognize the name E.B. White, I’m sure you’d recognize some E.B. White quotes if they were read from his books. After all, this literary genius penned titles with names such as Charlotte’s Web and The Trumpet of the Swan. Get to know the author a little better. These fifteen E.B. White quotes are a great place to start.
1. ‘A writer is like a bean plant – he has his little day, and then gets stringy.’
2. ‘Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.’
3. ‘I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve (or save) the world and a desire to enjoy (or savor) the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.’
4. ‘It is easier for a man to be loyal to his club than to his planet; the bylaws are shorter, and he is personally acquainted with the other members.’
5. ‘Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts.’
6. ‘Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.’
7. ‘Genius is more often found in a cracked pot than a whole one.’
8. ‘The terror of the atom age is not the violence of the new power but the speed of man’s adjustment to it, the speed of his acceptance.’
9. ‘There’s no limit to how complicated things can get, on account of one thing always leading to another.’
10. ‘Luck is not something you can mention in the presence of self-made men.’
11. ‘The only sense that is common in the long run, is the sense of change and we all instinctively avoid it.’
12. ‘I can only assume that your editorial writer tripped over the First Amendment and thought it was the office cat.’
13. ‘Be obscure clearly.’
14. ‘English usage is sometimes more than mere taste, judgment and education – sometimes it’s sheer luck, like getting across the street.’
15. ‘I see nothing in space as promising as the view from a Ferris wheel.’
And there you have it — fifteen quotes that prove E.B. White was more than just a talented children’s story writer. He had more insight into our culture and the state of humanity than most men can ever hope to achieve. Let’s celebrate his genius and commemorate his birthday with these E.B. White quotes.
About the Author
For more famous quotes, check out the popular Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in ‘Top 10’ lists of quotations in dozens of categories.