14 Diane Arbus Quotes to Remember the Birth of a Genius
Author: Noel Jameson
Diane Arbus’s birthday is right around the corner and I felt it would be the perfect time to remember her with some enlightening and inspiring Diane Arbus quotes. While her pictures spoke volumes, her words had a message too. Let’s revisit those messages now with these 14 quotes.
1. ‘Love involves a peculiar unfathomable combination of understanding and misunderstanding.’
2. ‘Most people go through life dreading they’ll have a traumatic experience. Freaks were born with their trauma. They’ve already passed their test in life. They’re aristocrats.’
3. ‘Regardless of how you feel inside, always try to look like a winner. Even if you are behind, a sustained look of control and confidence can give you a mental edge that results in victory.’
4. ‘Everybody has that thing where they need to look one way but they come out looking another way and that’s what people observe. You see someone on the street and essentially what you notice about them is the flaw.’
5. ‘A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know.’
6. ‘Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true.’
7. ‘It gets to seem as if way back in the Garden of Eden after the Fall, Adam and Eve had begged the Lord to forgive them and He, in his boundless exasperation, had said, ‘All right, then. Stay. Stay in the Garden. Get civilized. Procreate. Muck it up.” And they did.’
8. ‘I believe there are things nobody would see if I didn’t photograph them.’
9. ‘My favorite thing is to go where I’ve never been.’
10. ‘I always thought of photography as a naughty thing to do — that was one of my favorite things about it, and when I first did it, I felt very perverse.’
11. ‘I never have taken a picture I’ve intended. They’re always better or worse.’
12. ‘Men are but children of a larger growth, Our appetites as apt to change as theirs, And full as craving too, and full as vain.’
13. ‘Nothing is ever the same as they said it was.’
14. ‘The world can only be grasped by action, not by contemplation. The hand is the cutting edge of the mind.’
Diane Arbus may be known for her photographs, but her depth and keen perception of the world around her went beyond what could be captured with a camera. Let these 14 Diane Arbus quotes serve as a reminder of this fact.
About the Author
For more famous quotes, check out the popular Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in ‘Top 10′ lists of quotations in dozens of categories.